Saturday, October 25, 2014

Blog Post #10

Shakespeare asking to"blog or not to blog"
Link to image: Here

In the first video we are introduced to Kathy Cassidy, a first grade teacher who uses technology in her classroom to aide her student's education. She has been using technology for 10 years beginning with her own webpage as well as establishing a class blog 5 years ago. Cassidy is adamant about using technology in the class room and believes that not learning and implementing such valuable tools in the learning process, teachers are not only handicapping the student's education but are also handicapping their own teaching skills. One particular tool, Blogs, she holds in high regard by its ability to give children a vast audience to show their work which may include their own parents who can check their child's progress regularly. Through her class blog, her students are met by different students from universities as well as elementary schools who Skype, post comments, and give feedback to a multitude of the students posts.
The second video begins by asking what technology is best to start with as a beginning teacher. Cassidy states that one needs to find the tool that they are most comfortable and proficient with. If a person is more comfortable using audio or video, then setting up a youtube account could be a valuable class tool. Also, Twitter plays a cool role in this video where Cassidy explains how this social tool is more valuable than it seems. I myself was under the belief that twitter was useless for any kind of important information; however, after listening to Cassidy about the important people that she follows and the links they provide, I can see that Twitter is more than just an "old person's Facebook".
In the final video, Dr. Strange lets his EDM 310 students ask Cassidy some prevalent questions concerning her teaching methods and use of technology. The first questioner is a physical education major which Cassidy provides wisdom on how technology could be used in their field of study. By using a blog or sending texts to students, the future educator will find that the technology makes sending information easier. The next question involved blogs possibly making cheating more accessible in the classroom to which Cassidy responds that it shouldn't. She states that it is up to the educator to develop an interesting lesson which the students can only provide quality and original work. The internet is becoming more of a collaborative tool for everyone to use so plagiarizing work should be kept to a minimum. A student also asks if Facebook can be used in the classroom, a question that I needed answering myself, which Cassidy replied that one could through the use of school Facebook accounts. Seeing how popular that this social media has become, implementing it into a lesson or project could be detrimental to a student's education. Another good question a student asked was how much does the classwork bleed into one's personal time at home. Cassidy says that is has become a day to day ordeal and that finding a good balance between the work and one's family time is key. I have to admit I also enjoyed the snow at the end of the video. Being raised down in the south for my entire life, seeing the snowbanks was very refreshing.
After watching all of these videos, the tools I will have available for me and my students is an astounding number. Now that I know that there are ways to use media sites that I use myself such as Youtube, Facebook, etc. I am much more comfortable with project based learning. Also much to my chagrin, I can also see how blogs can play a key role into a students education. I admit that I myself haven't been all that enthusiastic about having to write a post on a weekly basis, but seeing how Cassidy has used it to provide her students an audience not only far larger than just the teacher, but an audience that can provide feedback and resources that were not previously mentioned to them. By using this social media, I realize that I alone am not just teaching them but they are teaching themselves as well as being taught by the entire world. As an educator, I see my position is merely to open the door for the students to exceed their own potential.

2 comments:

  1. "I can also see how blogs can play a key role into a students education. I admit that I myself haven't been all that enthusiastic about having to write a post on a weekly basis, …" To achieve any degree of competence you must practice. I am glad your eyes are opening!

    Thoughtful. Thorough. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert,
    I enjoyed reading your post and liked how you organized your thoughts by different key points made in each video. I think that we have the same views about classroom blogs. At first, creating a blog for this class seemed very overwhelming, but now I can see the potential it can in our future classrooms. I think our students will be very excited to make friends all over the world! I also like your quote "I realize that I alone am not just teaching them but they are teaching themselves as well as being taught by the entire world. As an educator, I see my position is merely to open the door for the students to exceed their own potential." Great ending to a great post!

    ReplyDelete